Skip to main content

LET’S MAKE FRIENDSHIP OUR RELIGION Second Day of Rosh Hashanah, 5777/2016


The essence of Torah -- and therefore of our creed -- is lovingkindness, to love our neighbors as ourselves.  But how do we acquire this sacred lovingkindness, this combination of energy and patience, and righteousness and understanding, that makes what we call a mensch? The Talmud answers in one sentence:  “Torah can be acquired only through friendship."  (Talmud, Berakhot 63b)
Judaism is relational – as we discussed yesterday when we spoke about the meaning of community.   And our tradition regards friendship as the key to human relations. But we have a tendency to use the word “friendship” carelessly sometimes - to forget what it really means.
My niece, Ava, recently reminded me of the true meaning of friendship. She’s fifteen and lives in Southern California. Not long ago, she met up with one of her girlfriends who, she could tell, was upset about something. A discreet inquiry revealed that the poor girl had a painful condition that required her to have an ultrasound. Tearfully, Ava’s friend said that she had been through the ultrasound procedure before and it was horrible. In order for the ultrasound to work, the patient had to have a completely full bladder and that meant she had to drink water -- and drink it and drink it and drink it, way past the point at which it became merely uncomfortable. It was a kind of torture. 
Well, this is what Ava told her friend, without a moment’s hesitation: "I am going to go with you to your ultrasound. And I’m going to sit there with you and I am going to drink the exact same amount of water that you drink and we are going to go through this together." And that’s what she did. And she and her friend did such a good job filling-up their bladders with water that the ultrasound technician told her friend: “You’re actually a little too full. I need you to urinate -- but just a little, not too much!!”  And in this, too, Ava accompanied her.
Can you imagine these two teenage friends, in the women’s room, laughing hysterically at their absurd situation -- trying to empty their bladders, but not too much? Now here’s the point: compare that image with what this experience would have been like for Ava’s friend had Ava not been there to share it with her. Total misery. And that is the magnificent power of friendship -- it’s like a kind of alchemy that can transform a miserable, degrading experience into an uplifting one. And that’s precisely what this world needs, isn’t it?  A worldwide outbreak of friendship.
That, at least, was the view of one of our greatest lights, author, humanitarian and Nobel Laureate, Elie Wiesel, may his memory always be for a blessing. Most of you know him and his work or at least heard or read one of the innumerable tributes to him after his death in July.
Briefly: He was born in 1928, in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania, and raised by his parents and grandparents to live according to the teachings of the passionate, mystical Hassidic sages of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In 1944, however, when Elie Wiesel was fifteen, he and his family were sent to Auschwitz, where his mother and sister were murdered, and then to Buchenwald, where his father died just a few weeks before the camp was liberated.
As a writer he tried to convey the depths of evil and the immensity of suffering – as he also called on the world to stop other genocides, to not be indifferent. The horrors inflicted on him did not dim the glow of his beloved tzaddikim -- the Baal Shem Tov, Nachman of Braslav, Levi Yitzhak of Berditchev and the rest; on the contrary, their teachings and the fire of their souls burned brighter than ever in the darkness of suffering and death.
Such was Elie Wiesel’s message to the world. He was a friend to all humanity, especially the suffering -- for his greatest passion was friendship, in the deepest sense of that word.
Let’s have a look at one of his most trenchant declarations on this subject that he stated in an interview in 2012.
“To me, friendship is a religion.  We could not live without it. Perhaps we could live for a while without love, but not without friendship.  The most simple way to bring about positive change in the world is to let others know they are not alone. If there is one person on the planet who still is suffering from loneliness and from pain or despair, and we don’t know about it — or we don’t want to know about it — then something is wrong with the world . . . . I cannot cure everybody. I cannot help everybody. But [I can] tell the lonely person that I am not far, or [not] different from that lonely person, that I am with him or her.”
In a world that seems, at times, to be almost choked with suffering, Elie Wiesel offers us a starting place based on the ancient Jewish teaching that saving one life is like saving an entire universe.  If one person is lonely, we can reach out.  If one person is suffering, we can offer comfort, or at least our presence.  For that too is a kind of friendship, a kind that matters.
Often we think being kind to others means giving to tzedakah -- giving money. And that’s not wrong -- money is an important aspect of what Judaism calls upon us to give.   But we also have a responsibility to know others.  To reach out to them. And, wherever possible, to show our friendship as deeply and truly as Ava showed hers.  
Rabbi Moshe Leib of Sassov -- one of the great 18th-century Hasidic masters so loved by Elie Weisel -- had a story about friendship. It used to delight him to say that he learned the truth about friendship from a gentile peasant who was getting himself drunk in a tavern.   Now, there is a proverb that goes, “Over the bottle many a friend is found”.  But this story offers a different perspective on that proverb than we might think.
There were several peasants in the tavern that day -- men who had nothing to show for their lifetimes of hard work, and never would have anything, and knew it. Finally, one of them -- having been, according to the rebbe’s story, “sufficiently moved by his wine” -- stirred himself and addressed the man seated next to him. “You -- my friend. Tell me, do you love me?”
The peasant seated next to him -- no doubt, equally moved by his wine -- blurted emphatically that, yes, of course he loved his friend, loved him very much.
But the first peasant shook his head and replied sadly:  'You say that you love me. You might even believe that you do. But you do not know the needs of my heart. If you were truly my friend, you would know the needs of my heart.’
The second peasant had not a word to say in reply. He didn’t understand.  
But Rabbi Moshe Leib understood. “To know the needs of other human beings,” he said, and, still more, to be willing “to bear the burden of their sorrow--that is the love" that true friends bear for one another.
And just as Moshe Leib was amused to have learned this lesson from an inebriated peasant, I must say, I am delighted to have been so well-schooled in friendship by my fifteen-year old niece, Ava. Had she simply been willing to sit and hold her friend’s hand during the painful procedure; had she asked her friend, “is there anything more I can do?”  – how could a parent not be proud to have a kid like that?  But Ava went miles beyond mere kindness.  She volunteered to take her friend’s burden upon herself so that her friend would not be alone.  
Of course, many of us may have a long, long way to go to meet this high ideal. But many of us here at B’nai Abraham do have stories of such friendship. In the last couple of years, for instance, one of our members survived a battle with cancer and was recently approached for advice by someone who had just been diagnosed with the same condition. What impressed me about our member’s reaction was not that she was willing to help her fellow-sufferer, but that she was anxious to do it -- grateful for the opportunity to take-up another’s burden, to provide hope and companionship to her new friend. That is what Judaism calls upon us to do.
And we see it around us every day. Ava is not the only young person who understands the importance of friendship and what it can do. Another one of our members recently told a story about something that happened to her a daughter -- a sensitive child, vulnerable to the twin demons of anxiety and depression. One day, her daughter’s dance class was holding a photo session and the high-strung dance instructor was particularly edgy, yelling at the students to behave, to be at their best, to avoid mistakes and so-on. Alas, one particularly virulent outburst was directed at this girl, who took it personally, fell apart and retreated to a back room. Instantly, three girls retreated with her, hugged her, retrieved her and stood side-by-side with her, to get her through the ordeal. It was a turning point not only for the daughter, but also for the mother, who was both surprised and inexpressibly moved to discover that her daughter was surrounded by people who “cared about her enough to give her that kind of comfort and confidence.”
And yet another member wrote of a high school friend who traveled from afar to comfort her and her young daughter after the devastating loss of her husband 18 years ago. Just recently, she traveled to comfort this same friend when she lost her husband.
Another of this past year’s most inspiring acts of kindness was performed in our greater Beverly community.  Lenny Lublinski lived at River House – a homeless shelter for men. When I was honored with leading a memorial service for him, everyone shared a story of his kindness m- the residents, the staff and members of their board of directors.  But one story stood out and showed me that Lenny, a man many of us may have passed by as we walked through downtown Beverly, was a tsaddik, a righteous man. 
Another man at the shelter was also down on his luck, had been a drug user, and hadn’t seen his daughter in 2 years.  He was finally going to be able to have a supervised visit with her. It was just before Christmas.  Lenny – who clearly had very little himself - went to the Dollar Store, bought a stocking and some toys, and gave it to his friend to give to his daughter.  He told him that he couldn’t see his daughter without giving her a Christmas present.  Lenny – a Jew by birth but not a knowledgeable or practicing one – was embodying our sacred teachings, to reach out to others, to share their burdens, to let them know they are not alone.
There’s a story told that, during the Roman Empire, two Jewish boys grew-up together in Jerusalem and became the truest of friends. In time, one moved to Damascus while the other stayed in Jerusalem.
One day, when the man from Jerusalem was visiting his friend in Damascus, someone planted a false rumor accusing him of sedition against Rome. The poor man was hauled before the Emperor and summarily sentenced to death.
“Sire,” he begged the Emperor, “the God of Israel knows I am innocent, but I make no protest. All I ask is that, before executing me, you let me return to Jerusalem and say farewell to my loved ones. Then I’ll come back and you can do to me as you wish.”
The Emperor laughed outright. "What sort of a fool do you take me for? If I let you go, you’ll never come back.”
"I will come back, sire. I am a man of my word. Indeed, I have a friend in Damascus who I know will be my guarantor. If I don't come back in sixty days, you can kill him in my stead.
The Emperor was intrigued. "Let this man’s friend be brought to me. I don’t believe one man would be willing to take such a foolish risk on another’s behalf.”
And so the man’s friend was brought before the Emperor and volunteered without hesitation to take his friend’s place in the dungeon and await execution in his friend’s place. “Understand, both of you,” the Emperor warned, in sixty days one of you dies. Whether it is the Jew from Jerusalem or the Jew from Damascus, makes no difference to me.”
Back to Jerusalem sailed the doomed man. He wrote his will and said his tearful farewells in plenty of time, but, as fate would have it, the weather took an unseasonable turn. For weeks, no ships or caravans left Jerusalem and the doomed man grew increasingly frantic.
At last the weather turned and the man arrived at the Emperor’s palace at dawn on the sixtieth day. A crowd had assembled to witness the execution and, already, the man could see his friend being led to his death.
"Wait!” he cried, “Do not kill this blameless man! It is I, the guilty one, returned from Jerusalem -- lead me to my execution!”
This outburst shocked the assembly and everyone -- onlookers, centurions, even the Emperor himself -- was frozen with shock. But suddenly, the astonishment was broken by the sound of the Damascus Jew, who was shouting in reply.
“Don’t listen to him! I swore to die in his place! It is my responsibility and also my right! For I swear by the God of Israel, that good man is as innocent as I, and I would far rather die myself than watch him suffer an unjust punishment. Take me to die now, sire, I beg you.”
The man from Jerusalem was beside himself. “Do not listen to him, sire. He has no right to suffer my fate while I stand before you. Please, sire, kill me and send this good man home to his family. He is of far more value to your kingdom than I.”
On they went, back and forth for an hour, each imploring the emperor to kill him and not his friend, until finally, the Emperor silenced the commotion by raising his hand.
“Here is my decision,” he said. “I shall release both of you -- under one condition.” And the crowd waited breathlessly to hear what that condition would be. “You must, each of you, promise . . . to be my friend.”

One thing more about this story: A commentator writes that it illustrates why, in Leviticus, the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself," concludes with the words, "I am God." Because friendship is so precious that even God -- represented here by the Emperor -- wants a share in it. So when we share true friendship with another, God, holiness, is present in the relationship.
            And that is why, as we set out on the voyage of this New Year, I ask you to join Elie Wiesel in making friendship your religion. And let us say:  Amen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yom Kippur Morning 2021 A Jewish Response to Loneliness

  Boker Tov, Good morning, Gut Yontif. Don’t you hate doing laundry? I do. But sometimes, when I’m tossing a heap of pillowcases and underpants into our clunky old GE washing machine, I feel a spasm of gratitude. How lucky I am to have a washing machine -- even an old *GE* washing machine -- to do the hard work of laundering for   me! When I think of how people (women, mostly) have had to do laundry with nothing but washboards and elbow grease, I feel tremendous pity for them -- rachmones, as we say in Yiddish.    But recently, I heard a story told by sociologist Brene Brown that made me reconsider. She spoke about a village where, by long tradition, the women would gather on the banks of a certain river and wash clothes together. Well, time went on in this village until a wonderful thing happened: All the women got washing machines in their homes! And then, something not so wonderful happened:   An epidemic of depression broke out among the women. [beat]   And no one could

Kol Nidre Sermon 2021 - Just a Little Thing

  Yom Kippur Evening 2021-5782 Gut Yontif, So, how are you all feeling? On this holy evening we step out of our daily lives for reflection and prayer. According to tradition, if we are healthy, we neither eat nor drink, don’t do work of any sort and refrain from wearing leather. All of this is to help us focus on matters of the heart and soul - or as some teach, ideally to be more like the angels, who don’t need to eat, drink, wear shoes or work to stay alive. That’s why it is also traditional to wear white on Yom Kippur. Today, we shed our pretensions and look at ourselves as we really are.   So, let’s take a breath, let out a big sigh, and say: Hineini! Here I am, here I am, God. A year older, and a little more battered. Exhausted. Maybe depressed. Maybe melancholy. Can’t put my finger on it, but something is just off with me. My friends and colleagues talk about it too. It’s a feeling filling the world, and people are trying to name it: Psychologist Adam Grant shared the

The World Exists Because of the Breath of School Children - Rosh Hashanah First Day Sermon 5779/2018

Shannah tovah. Our liturgy Declares: HaYom Harat Olam: Today we celebrate the creation of life itself… and we read Torah and Haftarah passages about the birth of two precious children, Isaac and Samuel. And so, I thought it would be appropriate to speak about children. I so love the children in this community and I like to think some of them, at least, love me, too. It does my heart good when a child shows a little affection. One little girl, for instance, often comes to Tot Shabbat and when the service ends, she always runs up to me and gives me a big hug. And she always says, "Don't worry rabbi! When I grow up, I'll give you LOTS of money." I've always chuckled, but one recent Shabbat, had to find out what exactly was in her head. So, as usual, she jumped into my arms and said, "Don't worry rabbi! When I grow up I'll give you LOTS of money!" But this time, when I hugged her back, I said, "That's very sweet of you, honey. But w